2016-2017 Graduate Academic Catalogue 
    
    Aug 18, 2019  
2016-2017 Graduate Academic Catalogue [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Honors and Awards


Honor Societies

Alpha Sigma Nu - The National Jesuit Honor Society

Alpha Sigma Nu is the national Jesuit honor society for men and women. Students nominated by the members of the society, approved by the dean of their school and the president of the university, who have demonstrated outstanding qualities of scholarship, service, and loyalty to the university are elected to the society in junior and senior years.

Beta Gamma Sigma - The National Honor Society for Collegiate Schools of Business

Founded in 1913, Beta Gamma Sigma is the national honor society in the field of business administration recognized by AACSB International - The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. The objectives of Beta Gamma Sigma are to encourage and honor academic achievement and personal excellence in the study and practice of business; to promote the advancement of education in the art and science of business; and to foster integrity in the conduct of business operations. Membership in Beta Gamma Sigma is a singular honor and carries with it lifetime affiliation.

Each fall and spring semester, in accordance with Beta Gamma Sigma regulations, Loyola's chapter invites undergraduates majoring in accounting or business administration to join the national honor society. Spring invitations are extended to the top 10 percent of Accounting and Business Administration majors the junior class; fall invitations are extended to the top 10 percent of  Accounting and Business Administration majors the senior class. In all cases, the official cumulative GPA used is as established by the student's academic record maintained by the Loyola University Maryland Records Office. (Note: Students who study abroad should consult with the Dean of International Programs to understand the timing of grades received from international study abroad programs.)

Discipline-Associated Honor Societies

Chi Sigma Iota - Counseling Academic and Professional Honor Society International
Kappa Delta Pi - International Honor Society in Education
Mu Kappa Tau - National Marketing Honorary Society
Psi Chi - The National Honor Society in Psychology
Sigma Iota Rho - National Honor Society for International Studies
Theta Alpha Kappa - The National Honor Society for Religious Studies and Theology
Upsilon Pi Epsilon - Honor Society for the Computing Sciences

Medals and Awards

Student Recognition

The Reverend John E. Wise, S.J., Medal - Distinguished Achievement in Education
Dr. Barry K. Estadt Medal - For Excellence in Pastoral Counseling
Graduate Medal of Achievement Excellence in Psychology
Dr. Bernard A. Saltysiak Medal - Clinical Excellence in Speech-Language Pathology
The Loyola University Maryland Award for Research in Theology

Community Recognition

The Milch Award was founded in 1979 by the Milch family. It is conferred annually on an individual or group who has contributed most significantly to the betterment of the intellectual, cultural, social or commercial life of greater Baltimore.

The Carroll Medal was established in 1939 and named in honor of Archbishop John Carroll, founder of the See of Baltimore and the Catholic Hierarchy in America. The award is made each year to recognize distinguished alumni for noteworthy and meritorious service on the University's behalf.

The John Henry Newman Medal was established in 2002 in recognition of the University's Sesquicentennial Anniversary. The medal recalls the life and work of Cardinal Newman, who delivered a series of lectures in 1852-the year of Loyola's founding-that became the foundation for his seminal work on Catholic higher education, The Idea of the University. The award is made at the discretion of the University's Trustees to recognize individuals whose intellectual attainments, contributions to education, and steadfast commitment to the ideals of scholarship and service distinguish them as exemplars of Loyola's Jesuit tradition.

The President's Medal was established in 1950 to show appreciation and gratitude to the cherished friends and benefactors who have performed some signal service for the University's advancement and prestige, or who have demonstrated loyalty in a notable manner.