Office: Knott Hall, Room 306
Chair: William Ethan Duckworth, Associate Professor
Professors: John C. Hennessey (emeritus); Michael P. Knapp; Christopher H. Morrell (emeritus); Jiyuan Tao; Anne L. Young (emerita)
Associate Professors: Prince Chidyagwai; Timothy B.P. Clark; William Ethan Duckworth; Lisa A. Oberbroeckling; William D. Reddy (emeritus); Dipa Sarkar Dey (emerita)
Assistant Professors: Richard E. Auer; Bu Hyoung Lee
Lecturers: Neeta Deshpande; Kevin Drummey; Giselle Pile; Amit Yavantikar
Affiliate Faculty: Kelsey Bardoff; Richard A. Brown; Ilya Kerzhner; Tamala Martin; Michael F. Schneider; Clarke Tankersley; Leanne Voos; Stacey E. Wagaman
In keeping with the mission of Loyola University Maryland, the Department of Mathematics and Statistics strives for excellence in education. The department offers two majors: one in mathematics and the other in statistics. The department's goal is to open students' minds to the power, beauty, and utility of mathematics and statistics and to develop their conceptual understanding, problem solving ability, and analytical thinking skills. The department's faculty is strongly committed to undergraduate teaching and to giving mathematics and statistics majors a solid and broad-based foundation for a variety of careers, as well as for graduate study. Faculty members conduct research in their fields of specialty and also keep abreast of curricular reform and creative uses of technology.
A double major requires the student to complete the requirements of each major. Students cannot double major in mathematics and statistics. Interdisciplinary majors allow students to combine interests in two different disciplines. An interdisciplinary major may be designed with the assistance of the student's academic advisor.
- Students will be able to compute accurately using algebra, calculus, or higher-level mathematics.
- Students will be able to write proofs of theorems.
- Students will be able to interpret data and data summaries using statistical methods.
- Students will be able to write computer programs or run computer packages to perform quantitative tasks.
- Mathematics, Applied Mathematics Concentration, BS
- Mathematics, BS
- Mathematics, General Program Concentration, BS
- Mathematics, Pure Mathematics Concentration, BS
- Mathematics, Secondary Education Concentration, BS
- Statistics, BS